Doors Open Peterborough 2014: Innovation Then and Now
Auburn Generating Station (908 Water Street) Built in 1911-12 on the site of the Auburn woollen mill dam, Auburn Station now produces enough hydroelectric energy to power up to 2,000 homes. The station was designed by Edward Lennox, best known for designing Casa Loma in Toronto. Please note that visitors are required to wear close-toed shoes when touring the facility. On site parking in not available. Visitors are strongly encouraged to park at Del Crary Park and take the free shuttle bus to the Generating Station.
Fallen Firefighter Memorial and Historical Pumper Truck (Del Crary Park) Stop by Del Crary Park in downtown Peterborough to see a 1923 Mason Bickle fire truck and the Fallen Firefighter Memorial. Purchased as a hose wagon by the Peterborough Fire Department in January 1926, the Mason Bickle was in use in the city until 1928, when it was sold to the Lakefield Fire Department. It has been restored to nearly original condition by the Bewdley Fire Fighters’ Association. Installed in 2008, the Fallen Firefighter Memorial was created by Myros Trutiak and Yolanda VanderGaast to mark the 100th anniversary of the Peterborough Fire Department.
Kirkland Engineering (570 Water Street) Since 1989, Kirkland Engineering has been an innovator of electrical engineering and design. The company is located in Hazlitt House, one of the finest examples of upscale architecture in Peterborough. Likely designed by well-known local architect, John E. Belcher, the house was built between 1875 and 1880 for Thomas Hazlitt, the general manager of the Dickson Lumber Company.
Peterborough Airport (925 Airport Road) With the longest paved runway between Ottawa and Toronto, the Peterborough Airport serves 35,000 aircraft annually. In a major expansion in 2012, the runway was increased to 2,134 metres (7,000 feet) and a new terminal building was constructed. Two First World War replica planes – a Sopwith and a Fokker – will be on display during Doors Open.
Peterborough Memorial Centre (151 Lansdowne Street West) The iconic Peterborough Memorial Centre pays tribute to the veterans of the two world wars and the Korean War. It is the home of several prominent sports organizations including the Petes and the Lakers. A travelling exhibit on loan from the National Air Force Museum of Canada will be on display. While at the Memorial Centre, check out the Peterborough Petes Development Camp. During the two-day Camp, players drafted by the Petes in the 2014 OHL Priority Selection or earlier will be prepared for Training Camp in August and the 2014-2015 OHL season. Please note that on site parking will be limited during the Farmers’ Market.
Peterborough and District Sports Hall of Fame (151 Lansdowne Street West) The Peterborough and District Sports Hall of Fame is dedicated to preserving the rich history of sports in Peterborough and the surrounding county. It houses a vast collection of memorabilia and artifacts dating back to the 1800s. Since its opening in 1978, 283 people have been inducted into the Hall of Fame. During Doors Open, the Hall of Fame will feature a special exhibit highlighting inductees who also served in the First World War.
Peterborough Museum and Archives (300 Hunter Street East - Museum Drive) The mandate of this museum, which opened in 1967 as a centennial project, is to preserve the community's heritage. Its collection of artifacts, photographs, and archival material continues to grow. Visitors will have a chance to view Stories of Sacrifice: Peterborough Remembers World War One - a new exhibit created by the Museum Management and Curatorship students at Fleming College. The exhibit reflects on the lasting legacy of the First World War on the Peterborough community.
Confederation Square (501 George Street North) Join military historian Don Willcock to learn more about the cenotaph and Confederation Square. Installed in 1929, and designed by Walter Seymour Allward, this memorial commemorates local men and women impacted by war, and the soldiers lost from the Peterborough community. Among Allward's other designs is the memorial at Vimy Ridge in France.
TV COGECO (1111 Goodfellow Road) TV COGECO is on the leading edge of changing developments in communication technology. They offer a range of community programming in the Peterborough area that features local events and activities, and that covers local issues that matter to the community. During Doors Open Peterborough, come try out the green screen or tour the mobile broadcast truck!
Take the Bus!
Throughout the day, visitors are invited to take the free accessible shuttle buses, departing from the parking lot at Del Crary Park. Bus #1 (blue route) will run in a continuous loop to the Peterborough Airport with an additional stop at the Peterborough Memorial Centre. Bus #2 (green route) will run in a continuous loop to the Auburn Generating Station with stops near Kirkland Engineering and Confederation Square.
Please note that there is no on site parking available at the Auburn Generating Station. Visitors are strongly encouraged to park at Del Crary Park and take the free shuttle bus to this site.
Auburn Through The War Years: Sunday May 4, 2014, 1 p.m.
Join Gordon Young, editor of Lakefield Heritage Research, on a two hour heritage walking tour of the Auburn. The tour will meet at the corner of Dunlop Street and Auburn Street.